Sunday, December 26, 2010

What makes you wear makeup?

First up, Merry Christmas! hope you had a great time, as I did.



Leading up to Christmas, one of the thoughts on my mind was "What makeup should I wear for Christmas Eve?' (My partner's family event is that day, and it is the most formal part of my christmas.)
Should I wear bold eyes? perhaps a bright pink lip? should I do a smokey eye? should I do natural makeup?
I noticed that the only option I didn't consider was no makeup. This struck me as odd, since aside from trying out some makeup I was given as a present, I wore no makeup on Christmas day.
I seemed to have it stuck in my head that any semi formal event meant I had to do makeup.  So, after going with bright blue eyeliner and pink lips..(dont worry, It worked and looked awesome) I felt ready to go to this event. No-one else there was wearing makeup. Or much makeup at least.

And then today during some browsing, my usual haunt, www.galadarling.com had created a list of highlights from her blog over the year, and I noticed this post. http://galadarling.com/article/oh-make-me-overWhich, obviously, was fun for me. But then I noticed her writing about something called "No makeup week" which was created by another blogger, Rabbit Write. Nedless to say, this captured my attention. I also poked around and noticed that Zoetica Ebb had participated and had some interesting stuff to say.

I believe most people wear makeup because they are self conscious of their skin or their face, which in a way, is fair enough. But its not like we want a friend who never wears makeup to cover her skin up so it looks even and 'flawless', yet we feel like we must do that ourselves.
Many of us believe that it's expected in the workplace, and that it makes our jobs easier. I also don't get this one, as I have worn a full face of makeup to work, as well as a bare face with a giant rash on my forehad thanks to an allergic reaction, and I still had a roughly similiar day.

I know why I wear makeup though.
I like the glamour of it, the fun of it, and the idea that I can create a persona through my hair and makeup and clothes that I can emanate through the day, so really, for me, its a sophisticated dress up party every day. Who do I want to be? Retro bombshell a la Dita Von Teese? Modern, candy like pinup, a la Katy Perry? Goth? Faerie child? I can create myself. That is exciting to me.
However, my view can perhaps be bias, as I also like how I look sans makeup. I am fortunate enough to have clear skin. However, it's dry at places, I have horrid undereye circles and I much prefer having at least tinted lip balm and mascara.
Makeup isn't a chore for me, and Ill happily show my bare face. See? ignore the silly face and lame t-shirt...haha.

I really want to know more about what motivates other people, and if you could go a week without makeup.Also, how old were you when you started wearing a full face? I only bought my first foundation this year, at 19 years old. However, ive been wearing eyeshadow and lip colours for years.
What do you think about our perceived need to cover ourselves in a million potions and products, and how does it affect how you view people when you meet them? I know I couldn't go to a job interview without makeup, as it can be a mask for me too.

Please do share, I'm really interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment