Sunday, January 9, 2011

Letting go of my addictions.

So, humans are addictive animals. We love when we can repeat something over and over and know it will give us joy. Some drink, some smoke, some..i dunno...eat cabbage?



Some shop. Many shop. I know I do. I can get a rush of the new over cotton buds. What the?
I have had a budget for a while, and I can never stick to it. No matter how much I get. If I get thirty, I want sixty. If I get eighty, then I want a hundred. I don't quite know why I love shopping so much, It just always feel like my life will be more complete/organised/beautiful/fashionable if I own that shoe, eyeliner..you name it.

So, recently ive been getting stressed about my addiction. I'm planning to move out soon, and I really need to try and kick (or even just lower) my spending so that I can eat. When I noticed that Gala Darling (yes-i'm a tad obsessed but she's so darn helpful) was going to go on a shopping detox for the month of January, I decided to boldly give it a try..for extra motivation i've promised myself that if I can do it, ill buy the shoes she designed that are hot pink leopard print...so fabulous.

Check out her post on this topic!http://galadarling.com/article/resolutions-for-january-the-shopping-detox-experiment

So what this means is that I can't buy:
-Shoes-unless for work or a special event.
-Clothes-unless they're neccesary like undergarments or something that my wardrobe is lacking, ie a cardigan.
-Makeup- unless it's foundation or mascara..essentials that I need to wear to job interviews basically.
-Jewellery, hats, accessories, bags you get my drift

Heck, It's even marketed as cool and fun to be addicted...seriously???


I really want to see what it feels like to know that I really can't just buy what I want, and that i'm really committed. I also hope that it will give me a chance to properly go through my wardrobe and see what I can wear and what I can reuse. I think at times i'm going to feel really frustrated and really angry, and other times I hope to feel empowered and stronger. I can say no to people treating me badly and taking what I can't afford from me (time, energy) so why can't I do the same to shoes? Like many people have said before, I don't want to be like Carrie Bradshaw, and have a down payment on a house's worth of shoes. Having said that, my shoe collection probably comes up to reasonable 1,500 probably. And that's over 4 years, since i don't wear heels often. So, roughly 300 dollars per year.

Anyways, I plan to document my thoughts and feelings on here. However, since it won't all warrant a post of it's own, i'll be more likely to tweet what i'm going through. Want to know how scary kicking shopping can be? follow me on twitter as http://twitter.com/#!/prettycannibal

I'll follow people back, too!

And please, let me know what you think of this or if you decide to detox too.

Much love and sparkles,

Britt. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment